Monday, March 28, 2011

Dvorak in the Dark

I bought noise-cancelling headphones today.  I can't hear a damn thing.  It's insane.   Unfortunately, I can't really listen to any music with them on because while they cancel most of the outside noise, any sort of click or bump in the house makes me thing that somebody is screaming my name.

The house is readjusting to the warm weather?  It's a summons for my attention.

Water rushes through the pipes?  Somebody is screaming for help.

It's incredibly unnerving.  I can't really handle it.  I have taken off my headphones and reeled around multiple times to prepare myself to help... but nothing has happened.  Fortunately, nobody has caught me doing this compulsive, repeated action (and if they did, the mockery would be unending).

The only thing that has really managed to save me is my recording of Dvorak's Symphony Number 9 (The New World Symphony).  Movement no. 4, Allegro con fuoco, makes my entire body feel happy.  And best of all, I don't hear anyone screaming for help when I'm listening to it.

Thank you, you zany Czech bastard.

Of course, there is a pretty good chance that this music is the only thing keeping me from saving those who actually DO need my help.  In which case, he does a complete 180 from savior to executioner.

But isn't that the way it usually works?

No comments:

Post a Comment